[scribus-dev] Scribus documentation translations temporarily removed from builds

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 20:24:55 CET 2010

2010/11/30 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>

> On 11/30/2010 09:07 AM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
>
>> 2010/11/30 "Christoph Schäfer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
>>
>>    And, as Greg already mentioned, we need human beings willing to do
>>    the work before we can start the creation of language-specific
>>    screenshots.
>>

>> The way around. I think we have all the evidences that this doesn’t
>> work. The numbers are clear. We have 3 languages out of 49. The doc has
>> been in that language state for years as the GUI has evolved a lot
>> faster. I was even surprised at the end of the count to be at 49! Wow!
>> If so many people care about the GUI translation, I guess that we should
>> understand the message.
>>

> That's one interpretation, Louis. Another would be that documentation in
> open source projects doesn't work in general. I don't see that in any
> project small numbers or large groups vociferously complaining about the
> lack of documentation by itself really makes any difference at all. One
> hopes that sooner or later some generous individuals step forward and try to
> actually create something.
>
> I might be able to speak somewhat for Christoph also since we have come to
> know each other quite well even though we've never met, but I can certainly
> say that it hurts a bit when the efforts that we've made to work on the
> wiki, work we've done on the printed manual, work we've done to resurrect
> the value of the online docs is acknowledged by complaints that we're
> somehow not doing enough to create multilingual clones, or that we're not
> spoon-feeding the potential-yet-so-far-nonexistent other language artists
> out their with their necessary materials.
>
> I'm not trying to shut off all criticism, but I think it's a bit unfair for
> us seemingly be blamed for the lack of docs in languages other than English.
> I suppose if someone did step forward they could expect criticism for their
> translations not coming fast enough or not being good enough. (at least
> we're not spitting out something from Google translate)
>
> Maybe we can manage to turn down the temperature of this discussion just a
> bit.

I am not too sure of understanding what is the problem at raising the
documentation issue and I do not intend to be overwhelmingly critical over
the work that has been done.

I am not too sure to understand either just how the doc workflow works.

Can we translate the doc? can we help write it? can this job be on a wiki?
(so we can work on it step by step, from time to time, alone or in a group
of people). How can we improve the doc workflow, in fact.

Louis

p.s. Sorry but I didn’t read your post before answering to Craig’s one.