[scribus-dev] Scribus documentation translations temporarily removed from builds

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Nov 30 18:20:42 CET 2010

On 11/30/2010 09:07 AM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2010/11/30 "Christoph Schäfer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
>
>     And, as Greg already mentioned, we need human beings willing to do
>     the work before we can start the creation of language-specific
>     screenshots.
>

> The way around. I think we have all the evidences that this doesn’t
> work. The numbers are clear. We have 3 languages out of 49. The doc has
> been in that language state for years as the GUI has evolved a lot
> faster. I was even surprised at the end of the count to be at 49! Wow!
> If so many people care about the GUI translation, I guess that we should
> understand the message.

That's one interpretation, Louis. Another would be that documentation in
open source projects doesn't work in general. I don't see that in any
project small numbers or large groups vociferously complaining about the
lack of documentation by itself really makes any difference at all. One
hopes that sooner or later some generous individuals step forward and
try to actually create something.

I might be able to speak somewhat for Christoph also since we have come
to know each other quite well even though we've never met, but I can
certainly say that it hurts a bit when the efforts that we've made to
work on the wiki, work we've done on the printed manual, work we've done
to resurrect the value of the online docs is acknowledged by complaints
that we're somehow not doing enough to create multilingual clones, or
that we're not spoon-feeding the potential-yet-so-far-nonexistent other
language artists out their with their necessary materials.

I'm not trying to shut off all criticism, but I think it's a bit unfair
for us seemingly be blamed for the lack of docs in languages other than
English. I suppose if someone did step forward they could expect
criticism for their translations not coming fast enough or not being
good enough. (at least we're not spitting out something from Google
translate)

Maybe we can manage to turn down the temperature of this discussion just
a bit.