[scribus] text-flow gets changed by 1.5.8

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Tue Mar 1 22:22:58 UTC 2022

Hi Andreas and Martin

Scribus doesn't make the all the layout decisions on its own. It uses the harfbuzz text shaping engine. https://harfbuzz.github.io/what-is-harfbuzz.html is a useful quick read.

To answer Martin's questions:

>I would love to get help now on how to proceed, as we are still in the
>process of a re-design for our magazine. I need something stable, so
>that I can introduce our team to the new templates and start training.

Scribus 1.5.x is our development version.. as Jean has said on the bug. Things change. I'd still recommend 1.5.8 by far over 1.5.7. No reason to upgrade until we release 1.6.0.

>- Shall I ignore version 1.5.8 until the cause is identified (and fixed
>on my system or in Scribus)?

Its not a problem in either exactly. It’s a change introduced by harfbuzz in their development and may or may not reflect in their changelogs. Maybe it’s a combination of font issues being worked around or other fixes. The fonts are also upgraded over time, as is OpenType as a specification, potentially Unicode too. Any combination of those can improve things (I tend towards improve layout quality, rather than detract from)

The only real way we can control this is to stick to a certain version of harfbuzz for a long time, which may not be realistic given bugs and security fixes, along with Scribus development. With Scribus 1.5.x in development, we are tracking the latest versions of the packages and for 1.6.0 we will need to work out how to maintain versions for longer if possible.

- Any specific known reason for not using version 1.5.7  (on Windows and
Linux machines) during 2022?

1.5.8 is certainly better than 1.5.7. It's not that 1.5.8 has a bug, it’s a change in harfbuzz. If your underlying harfbuzz changes, what Scribus presents may also change. You could use the app packages instead of building from scratch on Linux so you use the included libraries.

I have not had time to test the file.. but Martin, would it be possible to upload just a single page with the problem? Collect for output, delete all pages but the one with an easy to identify problem, then collect for output again. Then you will still include one page of images. Not sure how easy that is for you but you might fit under the 2mb limit. I will look to increasing that limit. You could also email me directly.

Thanks
Craig