[scribus] Would like to read up on Attributes

José Antonio Rocha joseantoniorocha at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 22:22:33 UTC 2021

Olá, Martin!

Em seg., 20 de set. de 2021 às 12:32, Martin Zaske LINGO <
martin.zaske at lingo-benin.org> escreveu:

> I have discovered that on right-click certain items like text-frames or
> image-frames have a tool for "Attributes" with Name, Type, Value,
> Parameter, Relationship and Relationship to as possible columns. I look
> through the inbuilt help and the wiki online and found confirmation in
> https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/File_Format_Specification_for_Scribus_1.5
> but no details at all.

"Attributes" of objects is one of the most powerful features of Scribus and
will enable the development of automated newsroom systems.

You can manipulate attributes by Scribus Scripter with Python commands:

setObjectAttributes(...)

setObjectAttributes(attributes, ["name"])

Sets attributes of the object "name". If "name" is not given the currently
selected item is used.

attributes is a list of dictionary. Each dictionary must have those keys:
Name, Type, Value, Parameter, Relationship, RelationshipTo, AutoAddTo. All
values must be strings.

getObjectAttributes(...)

getObjectAttributes(["name"]) -> list

Returns a list containing all attributes of object "name". If "name" is not
given the currently selected Item is used.

> Is there a way to have certain Attributes show up in visible form in a
> document? For example one Attribute could be "domain" and somewhere in
> our articles we could have a "field" inside a text-frame that would
> print "Sports" or "Health"? I am thinking of those "fields" that we are
> using for "page number". Can we have "fields" from the "Attributes"?

You can do that by programming in Scripter (Python).

> Is there a way to assign Attributes not just to individual items but to
> an entire Scribus Document?

Yes, documents have attributes, too, but I don't know how to manipulate
them.

Is there a tool to manage Attributes, like we have the "Image Manager"
> to see lots of useful data in one location?

Yes to document attributes: File > Preferences... > Document Item
Attributes

Anybody is already using the attributes feature and has tips or warning
> to share?

I will code a WordPress-based newsroom system in 2022, after defending my
thesis. Then I will be able to exchange experiences with you.