[scribus] Would like to read up on Attributes

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Tue Sep 21 19:28:14 UTC 2021

Hello Martin,

This belongs to the list.

-------- Message transféré --------
Sujet : 	Re: [scribus] Would like to read up on Attributes
Date : 	Tue, 21 Sep 2021 11:58:48 +0100

 > Thank you JLuc for pointing out the "variable text" feature.
 > I just tried it out. For editing, on my version 1.5.7 I had to go to >
 > Menu > Edit > Marks (where for you it is called Notecalls).

Oh yes. "Notecalls" was a improvised translation from my french UI.

 > The button "Update all Marks" did not work as expected. I had made
 > several renderings of one mark and when I clicked "update all" nothing
 > visible happened. When clicking outside my page on the scratch-space
 > then the other marks got updated.
 > But also my Scribus crashed while testing this feature and it had not
 > done that in years.

That's certainly the reason why i decided not to use the feature !

Would you create a report on https://bus.scribus.net ?
Providing a backtrace helps
See https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_debug_for_reporting#Generating_a_backtrace

AMOF here is a set of declared issues for marks :
https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=12496

 > So presently I have at least three options to bring some magic to our pages:

For this type of job, i have developped a set of external shell scripts
and also some PHP, that do automate common SLA edit tasks related to a book or magazine creation.
I see it more as a prototype for some future C++ or python dev,
but i use it as is for every quaterly magazine issue i edit :
https://github.com/JLuc/scribus-project-manager

As for your issue, i can imagine several ways using some external program,
be it shell, php, python, C++ or whatever.

For example you can use some %%DOMAIN%% placeholder in your scribus texts (using scribus UI),
save, and later invoke a simple shell script to replace the placeholder with some value, when you know it.

Once replaced, the placeholder isnt there anymore, so you have to copy the SLA before,
in case you wish to later be able to use a different value.
Hence, it's only OK when you can do the replacement as the last edit of your file.

Other idea, maybe better but uncertain depending on what makes scribus crash :
it might be possible to use a scribus "variable text mark" as an already existing SLA placeholder,
and not use scribus to manage it at all (because it crashes at some point),
but use a script to replace the place holder value...
I'm not sure what could come out of this path.

Please share in case you learn how to best use Marks or Attributes...

JL