[scribus] Would like to read up on Attributes

Martin Zaske LINGO martin.zaske at lingo-benin.org
Mon Sep 20 15:31:25 UTC 2021

Dear list,

we are preparing a mild re-design of our magazine, to make it more
suitable for the small screens of phones.

We also use the occasion to move the entire office to Scribus 1.5.7.

I also hope to tune our internal work-flow some more and maybe use
Scribus itself to track the status of each article - as our different
free-lance team-members do their various jobs. People are working on
different computers and projects get moved around, so having the admin
inside, might be a bonus (or a logistics nightmare).

I have discovered that on right-click certain items like text-frames or
image-frames have a tool for "Attributes" with Name, Type, Value,
Parameter, Relationship and Relationship to as possible columns. I look
through the inbuilt help and the wiki online and found confirmation in
https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/File_Format_Specification_for_Scribus_1.5
but no details at all.

Now I wonder how we can use these. Are those meant for work-admin for
Scribus users, or are those "Attributes" meant for Scribus-only
"technical" purposes?

Is there a way to have certain Attributes show up in visible form in a
document? For example one Attribute could be "domain" and somewhere in
our articles we could have a "field" inside a text-frame that would
print "Sports" or "Health"? I am thinking of those "fields" that we are
using for "page number". Can we have "fields" from the "Attributes"?

Is there a way to assign Attributes not just to individual items but to
an entire Scribus Document? (I am aware of Document Information in
Document Setup, but Attributes seem to be a different concept, maybe
meant or not meant for readers of final output?)

Is there a tool to manage Attributes, like we have the "Image Manager"
to see lots of useful data in one location?

Anybody is already using the attributes feature and has tips or warning
to share?

Thank you for your input,

Martin

--
courriel par Martin Zaske, membre de :

LINGO-Bénin
B.P. 48
Bassila
Rep. du Bénin

Tel. 00229 / 97.44.62.95
Tel. 00229 / 62.58.04.48

Organisation Non Gouvernementale
Decret No. 2001-234 du 12 juillet 2001
No. d'enregistrement 6/033/P-SG STCCD-DCDI-ONG
du 05 septembre 2012

Numéro IFU: 6201702245702

www.lingo-benin.org