[scribus] scribus 1.5.6 svn on linux Xubuntu and 1.5.7 svn on Windows

Mattia Rizzolo mattia at mapreri.org
Sun Feb 21 16:35:10 UTC 2021

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 12:42:38PM +0100, Gimp-Werkstatt wrote:
> 1. I installed scribus 1.5.5 as it comes straight out of the package
> system. And in addition I installed 1.5.6 svn daily built (trunk).

As JLuc wrote (with "this is very odd"), you probably got 1.5.6svn from
the PPA.  Pity that Ubuntu 20.04 doesn't have what's required to build
the newer versions (trunk) of scribus, so it's just an old snapshot and
not updated anymore.  it's basically 1 or 2 commits after 1.5.6.

> Having installed both was making it impossible to open an sla by double
> click. So I uninstalled 1.5.6 and it solved the problem.

You are probably seeing two application (scribus and scribus-trunk) both
registering themselves as able to handle .sla.  I bet you probably just
need to configure your system which one you prefer to use.
Or you should explain better whtat you mean.

> 3. I thought it was probably a bug and uninstalled 1.5.5 and reinstalled
> 1.5.6 svn (via ppa).Now I get an error message every time I start the
> program. Here is a copy of the massage:
>
> "There was a problem loading 1 of 55 plugins.
>
> libhunspellplugin.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gno.so
>
> There is probably a dependency problem or there are older plugins in
> your installation directory.If you delete the installation directory,
> then reinstall Scirbus and the program still occurs, please report the
> error to bugs.scribus.net. "
>
> I don't know where to find the installation directory. That's why I made
> an attempt at my Windows partition.

Yeah, well.  that's what you get by using -trunk, that's something that
you definitely should not be using when you are looking for any sort of
bug-free experience.
That was fixed later and it was a temporary issue, but since -trunk is
not updated anymore for 20.04 it'll stay there.  it shouldn't affect any
other build though (like, the -ng which is 1.5.6.1).

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

More about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :