[scribus] text frame wrong location?

Bert Driehuis driehuis at playbeing.org
Sat Feb 13 18:56:09 UTC 2021

Hmmm, I just created a fresh document, consisting of 4 single A4 pages in
millimeters with otherwise default settings. If I look at the Y coordinate
in the bottom right corner when I hover my mouse over the extreme bottom of
the first page, the Y coordinate shows around 297 (as expected). The top of
the second page shows around 311, and the top of the third page shows as
623. It's as if Scribus uses one single X,Y space for the whole document. I
would have expected the top Y coordinate of the second page to restart at
zero.

I'm using the Scribus 1.5.6.1 AppImage build for Linux. I also tried this
in Scribus 1.4.8 on a different computer, and I see the same behavior. It
is rather obvious that I have never had to use precise X,Y placement on
multipage documents. Having to calculate the offset relative to the top of
the first page certainly is counterintuitive to me as well, but it does
explain the behavior Erik saw in his document. To precisely position a text
frame 10 mm down from the top of the fourth page (or 13 mm down from the
bleed edge), I need to enter a Y-Pos of 526mm.

I never noticed this before, and it does strike me as contrary to the
principle of least astonishment :-)  Fortunately, this behavior in Scribus
is adjustable.

So, to answer my own questions together with Erik's: go to View ->
Measurement, make sure View Rulers is checked, and check "Rulers relative
to page".

With kind regards,

Bert