[scribus] text frame wrong location?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Feb 13 19:35:38 UTC 2021

On 2/13/21 1:56 PM, Bert Driehuis wrote:
> Hmmm, I just created a fresh document, consisting of 4 single A4 pages in
> millimeters with otherwise default settings. If I look at the Y coordinate
> in the bottom right corner when I hover my mouse over the extreme bottom of
> the first page, the Y coordinate shows around 297 (as expected). The top of
> the second page shows around 311, and the top of the third page shows as
> 623. It's as if Scribus uses one single X,Y space for the whole document. I
> would have expected the top Y coordinate of the second page to restart at
> zero.
>
> I'm using the Scribus 1.5.6.1 AppImage build for Linux. I also tried this
> in Scribus 1.4.8 on a different computer, and I see the same behavior. It
> is rather obvious that I have never had to use precise X,Y placement on
> multipage documents. Having to calculate the offset relative to the top of
> the first page certainly is counterintuitive to me as well, but it does
> explain the behavior Erik saw in his document. To precisely position a text
> frame 10 mm down from the top of the fourth page (or 13 mm down from the
> bleed edge), I need to enter a Y-Pos of 526mm.
>
> I never noticed this before, and it does strike me as contrary to the
> principle of least astonishment :-)  Fortunately, this behavior in Scribus
> is adjustable.

Something else about this regards which page is the currently selected page.
For example, if you have selected Page 1, then scroll down to Page 2 without selecting Page 2 (i.e., clicking on it), the X, Y position measurements for the cursor will be relative to Page 1.
As soon as you select Page 2, those values reflect the position relative to Page 2's upper left corner. If you then scrolled up to Page 1 without selecting it, the Y values would become negative.

As far as I know, the default behavior for View > Measurements is relative to the current page.

Greg