[scribus] Problem embedding fonts in pdf and workaround

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Oct 25 16:52:59 UTC 2020

On 10/25/20 5:02 AM, Simon Heimbach wrote:
> outlining fonts always works fine. But it does come with a cost:
>   - you text cannot be searched anymore and copy-and-paste does not work
>   - the quality might be worse on screens as an outlined text cannot be
> hinted and kerned
>   - in print the printer cannot adjust the text when needed

Searching the pdf isn't an issue.  I send a copy to one person, who
prints it out, makes 18 copies and collates them into a private magazine
(apa) to be mailed out.

> Why are you not using the 1.5-series of Scribus. I am using it for years
> and it does a much better job for me then 1.4. Just remember that once
> you saved a file with 1.5 you cannot go back to 1.4 as it won't open it.

I use the version of Scribus provided by Fedora for version 31.
Upgrading to 33 would be nice, but not until my desktop's working, and
it will get upgraded first.