[scribus] Novice user query about bleeds

Šarūnas sarunas at mailbox.org
Fri Mar 6 13:49:14 UTC 2020

On 3/6/20 8:20 AM, Graham Dicker wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am hoping to use Scribus to make a photo book with Whitewall Photobooks.
> They give dimension details for the cover as:
>
> Page Requirements Millimeter
> Cover PDF Dimensions Including Trim (W x H) 654.4 x 262
> Cover Bleed (Top | Bottom | Left | Right) 23 mm | 23 mm | 23 mm | 23 mm
> Visible Cover Dimensions (W x H) 608.4 x 216
> Spine 8 mm
> Number of Pages (Double Pages) 1
>
> I am using Scribus version 1.4.7. It is the version supplied with my
> distribution OpenSuse 15.0.
>
> So I created an empty document with the above dimensions and need to put in a
> text frame to define the spine of the book and also two image frames for the
> front and back pages. Although I have a general understanding of what the
> bleed areas are for, I don't know if my frames are supposed to overlap into
> the bleed areas or not and if they are, by how much.

It looks like your chosen cover option wraps around the edges
(“hardcover”, “imagewrap”), therefore large bleed values. Then yes,
image frames should wrap around quite a bit, though not necessarily all
the way to 23mm. Extremities of bleed area should be covered by the End
Paper you choose in book configuration.

> Am I doomed anyway because my version can't use the inDesign files or do Job
> Options?
Most likely not doomed at all. jobotions file looks like that for
Acrobat Distiller. It's been a while since I had to use one, but it's a
text file and options can be seen. I haven't used Whitewall, so perhaps
I better do not advice much, except that it may make sense to do a small
test print.

--
Šarūnas Burdulis
math.dartmouth.edu/~sarunas