[scribus] Novice user query about bleeds

Graham Dicker graham.dicker at antecor.com
Sat Mar 7 09:24:39 UTC 2020

On Friday, 6 March 2020 13:49:14 GMT Šarūnas wrote:
> On 3/6/20 8:20 AM, Graham Dicker wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I am hoping to use Scribus to make a photo book with Whitewall Photobooks.
> > They give dimension details for the cover as:
> >
> > Page Requirements Millimeter
> > Cover PDF Dimensions Including Trim (W x H) 654.4 x 262
> > Cover Bleed (Top | Bottom | Left | Right) 23 mm | 23 mm | 23 mm | 23 mm
> > Visible Cover Dimensions (W x H) 608.4 x 216
> > Spine 8 mm
> > Number of Pages (Double Pages) 1
> >
> > I am using Scribus version 1.4.7. It is the version supplied with my
> > distribution OpenSuse 15.0.
> >
> > So I created an empty document with the above dimensions and need to put
> > in a text frame to define the spine of the book and also two image frames
> > for the front and back pages. Although I have a general understanding of
> > what the bleed areas are for, I don't know if my frames are supposed to
> > overlap into the bleed areas or not and if they are, by how much.
>
> It looks like your chosen cover option wraps around the edges
> (“hardcover”, “imagewrap”), therefore large bleed values. Then yes,
> image frames should wrap around quite a bit, though not necessarily all
> the way to 23mm. Extremities of bleed area should be covered by the End
> Paper you choose in book configuration.
>
> > Am I doomed anyway because my version can't use the inDesign files or do
> > Job Options?
>
> Most likely not doomed at all. jobotions file looks like that for
> Acrobat Distiller. It's been a while since I had to use one, but it's a
> text file and options can be seen. I haven't used Whitewall, so perhaps
> I better do not advice much, except that it may make sense to do a small
> test print.

Šarūnas, thanks for your help. The bleed for the inside pages is 3mm so it
would make sense to me to use a 3mm overlap into the 25mm wrapping area of the
cover too. On re-reading the instructions I now realise I was misunderstanding
what the Job Options file was for. I thought it was something I had to send to
Whitewall but no, it's only used for producing the PDFs from Distiller.

Graham