[scribus] Novice user query about bleeds

Graham Dicker graham.dicker at antecor.com
Fri Mar 6 13:20:34 UTC 2020

Hello

I am hoping to use Scribus to make a photo book with Whitewall Photobooks.
They give dimension details for the cover as:

Page Requirements Millimeter
Cover PDF Dimensions Including Trim (W x H) 654.4 x 262
Cover Bleed (Top | Bottom | Left | Right) 23 mm | 23 mm | 23 mm | 23 mm
Visible Cover Dimensions (W x H) 608.4 x 216
Spine 8 mm
Number of Pages (Double Pages) 1

I am using Scribus version 1.4.7. It is the version supplied with my
distribution OpenSuse 15.0.

So I created an empty document with the above dimensions and need to put in a
text frame to define the spine of the book and also two image frames for the
front and back pages. Although I have a general understanding of what the
bleed areas are for, I don't know if my frames are supposed to overlap into
the bleed areas or not and if they are, by how much.

Am I doomed anyway because my version can't use the inDesign files or do Job
Options?

Any guidance much appreciated

Graham Dicker