[scribus] Lighten dark colors

Bert Driehuis driehuis at playbeing.org
Fri Jul 10 11:50:51 UTC 2020

Actually, Fogra39 and ISO coated v2 shouldn't be that different, as
ISO Coated V2 is the successor of Fogra39. The ISO profile promises a
bit of improvement in faithfully rendering greys, it should not affect
the color darkness that much.

I never figured out how the color profile of the images used in
Scribus affects the outcome, so maybe someone on the list can clarify
that.

It's not ImageMagick's fault that one loses quality when converting
jpg to jpg. By modifying the exposure, the three input color channels
of the JPG that originally span 256 values of lightness each get
reduced to less than 256 values. That can cause a "stepped" look in
color nuances. Also, it is likely that the JPEG color table will be
recomputed, which can also cause some quality issues degradation. If
you want to turn the brightness knob in Scribus with less quality
degradation, you could look into Scribuses image properties, for
example, by setting Opacity of the image to 75%.

Of course, PDF with opacity can cause its own issues when printing.

With kind regards,

Bert