[scribus] Lighten dark colors

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Fri Jul 10 13:18:26 UTC 2020

Le 10/07/2020 à 13:50, Bert Driehuis a écrit :
> Actually, Fogra39 and ISO coated v2 shouldn't be that different, as
> ISO Coated V2 is the successor of Fogra39. The ISO profile promises a
> bit of improvement in faithfully rendering greys, it should not affect
> the color darkness that much.

I tested both profiles with "display out of gamut" scribus option
on some test images that proved critical during my last print.

FYI see IsoCoated out of gamut areas :
https://covid19.framadrop.org/lufi/r/fDAUkVtDgb#LWwKwzh0GjLxxrSyPyd+P4nlM+f2BTxLH4+9A6AR9AQ=

and fogra39 out of gamut areas :
https://covid19.framadrop.org/lufi/r/L6pnmxnXCQ#NVLQTDCHufebFQR99koI4UiHl8UCF3QRK+L28O2kcfE=

The fogra39L's outofgamut area is about 15% smaller so i hoped this would improve the rendering.
I also compared the produced PDFs but they look allmost the same :
depending on the picture, FOGRA39 or isocoated look better but the difference is hardly noticeable,
and in any case they both look *much* nicer on screen then in the printed book :-(
("of course" my monitor has no profile)

Thanks for you explanations about imagemagick quality.
Setting the opacity to 75% will increase light
but it will grey all black and will reduce the contrast :-/

My hope when using "convert -level b,w,gamma" is to use a gamma correction curve
that keeps some black parts and hopefully a better contrast
as described here http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/color_mods/
I've began to check that and it probably improves printing for some dark images
but it still degrades contrast on other dark images.

JL