[scribus] a billboard

guerrier guerrier at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 17:50:55 UTC 2020

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 15:29:57 +0200
> From: Peter Nermander <peter at nermander.se>
> Subject: Re: [scribus] a billboard
>
> > Would you like to share a few details on how you got your design from
> > Scribus unto the building please? When I zoom in, I see that some canvas
> > or tarp-like material is suspended in a frame-structure.
>
> I have no idea how they did what was shown here, but I do know my dad
> used to help this company design their printer (my dad owned a fine
> mechanical workshop until he retired a few years ago). If I understand
> right, their printer works like an inkjet, but like airbrushes for
> nozzles.
>
> https://www.bigimagesystems.com/
>
> So there are companies out there that can print large stuff. But those
> printers are not 300 DPI but more like 15 DPI. But you use them as a
> normal printer, just open a PDF and print.
>
> /Peter

On the technical  side, the billboards are 680 by 244 inches and 426
by 244 inches. I was asked to prepare files at 1:10 scale, with raster
images at 720 dpi.

I created a two-page project in Scribus, 68.0 x 24.4 inches and 42.6 x
24.4 inches. I layered forms, images, and text, until the design
emerged.

The difficulty would be to get the photograph at its required size. I
used CaptureOne to treat tif files as raw files, and to gradually
scale the image files to the desired specs--20 x40 inches at 700dpi. I
hope to be able to do this with Darktable, but I have not tried.

I did not know the specifics of the printer, but I suspected it would
be something like a Roland LEJ-640.  So, I output a pdf 1.3 with cmyk
colors, crop marks, and 3-inch bleeds; it was a 2GB file.

Scribus performed beautifully.

Here are more images, http://dig.thenextfewhours.com/blog/?p=8677

Thanks,
Adler