[scribus] New to Scribud

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Thu Apr 30 07:41:02 UTC 2020

On 25.04.2020 14:30, Marek Laane wrote:
> Kontakt ZASKE Martin (<zm at revue-gugu.org>) kirjutas kuupäeval L, 25. aprill
> 2020 kell 14:26:
>

>> On 23.04.2020 07:43, dtrauttman at outlook.com wrote:
>>>
>>> While we type a text in Hebrew (or Arabic) and when the written text is
>> too long for a single page, a second page appears.
>>>
>>> When we write in English, that second page appears on the right but when
>> writing in Hebrew, it should appears on the left.
>>>
>>> Is that option possible with Scribus?
>>>
>>> Thank you for your answer!
>>>
>>> David
>>

> I think the question here is about the direction of text, left-to-right or
> rught-to-left. So if you write in English, the second page should appear on
> right side because it is normal text flow for left-to-right writing
> systems. But if you write in Arabic, then second page should appear on left
> side because it is normal text flow for rught-to keft writing systems.

When I start a new document, typically I do not tell Scribus what
language will provide the main content. Many of our documents have a
major part in a minority language and then some meta data and others in
French. Some of our documents are bilingual!

I guess that you can create a nightmare for the programmers, in
demanding that Scribus should automatically figure out which way to run
a new document. Based on what data?

If there would be a simple manual toggle option at
document-settings-level, RTL users could pre-set it at Scribus
preferences level to be set RTL for any new document, while all other
users would not even need any changes in their workflow.

What do you think?

--
ZASKE Martin
responsable GʊGʊ