[scribus] New to Scribud

Marek Laane qiilaq69 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 12:30:52 UTC 2020

Kontakt ZASKE Martin (<zm at revue-gugu.org>) kirjutas kuupäeval L, 25. aprill
2020 kell 14:26:

> Welcome new user.
>

> Scribus is a DTP tool, not an office text processor like MS Word or
> LibreOffice Writer.
>
> So if you type a text in Scribus, you are not using a classic work-flow.
> Typically a team would prepare all elements of a document (like text,
> illustrations, color scheme, color profile, legal information, other
> meta information) in specialized tools.
>
> So for example you would type your text in Writer and do all your
> initial proof reading and spell checking and editing in your text tool,
> before you import into a text-frame in Scribus.
>
> The strength of Scribus is in the total control over the formatting:
> Where and how you want to display your text; what size, what typeface
> (font), what spacings vertically and horizontally, margins, gutters
> between columns, etc.
>
> So if you use the Story Editor in Scribus to enter new text, or even if
> you type directly into a text-frame, that is fine too (but possibly only
> suited to shorter texts). Be informed Scribus will not automatically
> create new text frames for you, if your texts gets too long. Scribus
> will just show you an overflow-hint in the bottom-right (sorry) corner
> of your text-box to alert you, that there is more text which does not fit.
>

> So if you want more text-frames you can create and position them
> anywhere you want. You might first need to create more blank pages, or
> use the generator to make several more pages with a text-frame on each
> page (for books mainly I suppose).
>
> In DTP you need to distinguish between pages and text-frames. Because
> there could be several text-frames on one page but each element needs to
> be placed on a page. All elements in a document are "anchored" on pages.
>
> You can then look into the important feature in Scribus to have
> text-frames linked, so that longer text can flow through two or more
> text-frames.
>

> Please try to make pages. Try to make text-frames. Just have a look at
> the toolbar (there are helpful hints on mouse-over) and have a browse
> through the menu.
>
> You are welcome to ask more follow up questions, as you move along.
>
> hth Martin
>
> On 23.04.2020 07:43, dtrauttman at outlook.com wrote:
> >
> > While we type a text in Hebrew (or Arabic) and when the written text is
> too long for a single page, a second page appears.
> >
> > When we write in English, that second page appears on the right but when
> writing in Hebrew, it should appears on the left.
> >
> > Is that option possible with Scribus?
> >
> > Thank you for your answer!
> >
> > David

I think the question here is about the direction of text, left-to-right or
rught-to-left. So if you write in English, the second page should appear on
right side because it is normal text flow for left-to-right writing
systems. But if you write in Arabic, then second page should appear on left
side because it is normal text flow for rught-to keft writing systems.