[scribus] New to Scribud

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Sat Apr 25 12:24:07 UTC 2020

Welcome new user.

Scribus is a DTP tool, not an office text processor like MS Word or
LibreOffice Writer.

So if you type a text in Scribus, you are not using a classic work-flow.
Typically a team would prepare all elements of a document (like text,
illustrations, color scheme, color profile, legal information, other
meta information) in specialized tools.

So for example you would type your text in Writer and do all your
initial proof reading and spell checking and editing in your text tool,
before you import into a text-frame in Scribus.

The strength of Scribus is in the total control over the formatting:
Where and how you want to display your text; what size, what typeface
(font), what spacings vertically and horizontally, margins, gutters
between columns, etc.

So if you use the Story Editor in Scribus to enter new text, or even if
you type directly into a text-frame, that is fine too (but possibly only
suited to shorter texts). Be informed Scribus will not automatically
create new text frames for you, if your texts gets too long. Scribus
will just show you an overflow-hint in the bottom-right (sorry) corner
of your text-box to alert you, that there is more text which does not fit.

So if you want more text-frames you can create and position them
anywhere you want. You might first need to create more blank pages, or
use the generator to make several more pages with a text-frame on each
page (for books mainly I suppose).

In DTP you need to distinguish between pages and text-frames. Because
there could be several text-frames on one page but each element needs to
be placed on a page. All elements in a document are "anchored" on pages.

You can then look into the important feature in Scribus to have
text-frames linked, so that longer text can flow through two or more
text-frames.

Please try to make pages. Try to make text-frames. Just have a look at
the toolbar (there are helpful hints on mouse-over) and have a browse
through the menu.

You are welcome to ask more follow up questions, as you move along.

hth Martin

--
ZASKE Martin
responsable GʊGʊ