[scribus] How to print in different sizes

Silvain Dupertuis silvain-dupertuis at bluewin.ch
Mon Nov 18 20:28:36 UTC 2019

Hi,
I do not see the need of resizing a document within Scribus
unless it needs further editing in the resized format.

Two suggestions :

1) It is easy to resize a PDF using PDF tools
(one of those being printing to a virtual PDF printer)

2) Here is a tip to do printing in different sizes with Scribus

 1. export the pages of the original document as PDF (one file per page, all of this can
    be optionally defined set up at export time)
 2. create a second document, blank, with the new size of the pages et the same number of
    pages
 3. create a frame of the size of the page on each page (create one and copy paste)
 4. place the PDFs created at the step 1 into the frames (the same as placing images as
    links).
 5. adjust image to page for each (this is where scaling takes place).
 6. export this new file to PDF (with the option embed PDF and EPS selected) - done !

In case you have to make some corrections, redo 1, reopen the second document and
re-export to PDF - done.
Actually, if both documents are open, you do not even have to reopen the second document
after modifications.
The document will automatically reflect the changes...

I am often using this procedure to print name cards on a A4 sheet
(prepare one at the size of a name card and place them as PDFs on a A4 page

or to impose pages for a brochure...

For example, in case of a flyer that you want to have in A3, A4, and A5, plus one version
on 2 A5 on a A4 sheet.
Prepare your main document on A4 (for example), with images with a resolution good enough
for further resizing.
Export it in PDF.
Prepare the documents for the other sizes and place the PDF on them.
Export to PDF (you can still choose the quality of images and the maximum resolution for
each kind)

Hope these tips can help.

It works perfectly for me (with Scribus 5.3, version 4 had the option, maybe less
reliable, I do not know).

--
Silvain Dupertuis
Route de Lausanne 335