[scribus] How to print in different sizes

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Nov 18 22:58:23 UTC 2019

On 11/18/19 9:11 AM, ZASKE Martin wrote:

> Thank you everybody for your input and for all the fashion advice
> concerning old-fashioned versus old etc.
>
> I guess I would not mind getting a (paid) sabbatical and learning all
> about hacking Postscript; but had rather hoped to find existing hidden
> tools inside Scribus.
>

> a.l.e had given the most specific idea on how to try within Scribus:
>
> I had to read between the lines and had to learn that he meant to
> "select all (over all layers)" and to "resize" by a bold-mouse move:
>
> I tried, and basically my document became a mess. A few elements got
> bigger and moved to their places. But anything text was no joy. And
> snapping to my (print-shop prescribed) bleed-limits did either not work
> or my mouse-skills for A0 page-size are just not snappy enough. I think
> my mouse tried snapping to the page-edges rather to the bleed-edges but
> since my screen is somewhat smaller than A0, I am not sure what happened.

Hi Martin,

I think when you're making such a large shift in size in the bigger direction, you might use use your original content more as a guide than the source.

What I mean by that is to go ahead and stretch your copy of the content to fit the page, then add another layer on top of the original content layer. Now you can use the original objects as guides to quickly creating new ones on the new top layer, switching off and on visibility of the old layer as you go. At some point you won't need the old layer content anymore. I think your snapping should work better with new objects that with expanded old ones.

Aside from what a.l.e said about the point of view of designers, you may find that some adjustments are necessary in frame line widths or relationships of objects to each other, but probably just tweaks. Some times letter and word spacing needs some help when you're going to such a large format.

At least now you will probably be thinking ahead in the future, wondering if your project will need to be resized at some future date, and figure out ways to cut the work. If I were doing it, I would probably at least wonder where a script might help, either by just spitting out measurements of the objects on a page or maybe even help with some automated object creation.

Greg