[scribus] How to print in different sizes

Mike Wright mike at wrights.de
Mon Nov 18 19:24:04 UTC 2019

Hi,

I 'grew up' with very basic layout programs (machine code) and later
learnt Corel, gimp, Lay Text, adobe, scribus etc. etc. so I feel
justified in adding my 2 cts!

Text: this is not so difficult. One just changes the paragraph / text
style.

    Really! - that's why they these features are there. Naturally the
kerning, letter spacing and paragraph format will be changed due to very
small changes in the 'rendering' of true type fonts - but they are "True
Type" - they are (supposed to be) vector based fonts (the first fonts
were simple bitmaps and scaling was a nightmare or impossible -
consequently modern fonts already incorporate the ability to be scaled).
The interface you/I/we know is Scribus, so just do it in Scribus.

Pictures: slightly more problematic as they are actually bitmaps, so
always start with the biggest format (highest resolution) and then scale
down.

Vector graphics: these evolved for exactly the same reasons as true type
fonts - vectors are scaleable, so just resize them.

- so for these three you need to do a /little /work.

Much more serious. I think, is what a.l.e mentions: "the designer will
try to convince her that you don't create the same design on A4 or A0"
and that is the real problem. In other words: one needs to do the layout
again for each format and " please recognize my art / skills".

Programming is a kind of art, so is layout/design. If we want the
programming, in this case Scribus, to be the layouter / designer and
become as good as or better at it than we are, then we are out of the
equation.

And, anyway, you don't get intelligent programs for nothing ;-) Software
for nothing AND your chicks for free??? Rubber biscuits???

BTW: IMHO 'even' adobe's multiformat outputs were never useful (except
maybe Dreamweaver - perhaps they became usable/better after CS6)

mike

--
Mike Wright