[scribus] Image issues

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Wed Jan 2 15:22:57 UTC 2019

In the beginning the Scribus handling of images (and vector
illustrations) needed learning.

But we have come to appreciate the Scribus way of doing things.

If more options would come (and very clear documentation along), no
problem. But when I read "force the users..." my skin prickles. Even
when the real sentence goes 'optionally "force" the users...'

There are so many different users, set-ups and contexts out there. And
within one document, there can be several sets of illustrations: regular
periodical stuff and per-edition-stuff. People have their own reasons,
why they keep certain logos and artwork in one central mother-folder
(for example), rather than needing to make local copies for each new
edition of a magazine.

Once a user has understood the benefits of "collect for output" and has
found "Manage Images..." there should be only few cases of real problems.

Yes, the Scribus way of doing things is "think and plan first, then
layout". And if ever the need to move arrives, then there is collect for
output. It works in our office for several years now. For each program,
sadly, we have to learn their way of doing things. But at least Scribus
GUI feels a lot more charming and friendlier than (for example) that of
Inkscape (also a great tool, but muchly more annoying).

I am just saying, if it aint totally broken, please fix other stuff
first or rather extend it. I am drooling and yearning for more options
to make use of all the goodness in modern well-made OpenType fonts.
Contextual alternates, ...

fwiw, and very happy 2019,

Martin

--