[scribus] Image issues

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Jan 3 08:52:03 UTC 2019

hi martin

this is the first of two replies to your email...

> I am just saying, if it aint totally broken, please fix other stuff
> first or rather extend it. I am drooling and yearning for more options
> to make use of all the goodness in modern well-made OpenType fonts.
> Contextual alternates, ..

of course you're right: being able to link images in a standard
place is very valuable.

but there are also people who need to put the .sla on a central
server and get several people access it (at least sequentially).

personally, i push many of my scribus projects to github.
if i'm not very careful (and -- when needed -- manually edit the liniks
in the .sla) other people, who download the .sla, will not be able to
see the images in the document.

doing a "collect for output" each time i close my document, is really
not an option.

of course the current behavior should stay the default one.
it's a very sane behavior.

on the other side:

as long as nobody contradicts me, i consider that adding the basic
parts for for a "single directory mode" is trivial and the profit the
user could get is way bigger than the work to be done.

i would work on it myself, if i was sure that the team would merge it
in a timely manner...
for somebody who knows well the scribus code it should be a couple of
hours of work... for myself maybe one and a half day of work. all
inclusive (i have to discover how to add preferences to dialog and to
the file...).

who knows, i might work on it, instead of hacking my "publication"
script to check for non relative paths...

ciao
a.l.e