[scribus] Image issues

Jonas Bechtel post at jbechtel.de
Wed Jan 2 09:33:20 UTC 2019

Hi there,

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 08:07:50 +0100
ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote with subject
"Re: [scribus] Image issues":

> hi john laurence
>
> > I proposed and developed a solution (additive and would not break
> > existing code) to this very problem about two years ago (using
> > relative *and* full path attributes) and the consensus was this was
> > not needed or desirable.
>
> personally, i would love to have scribus to optionally make sure that
> all inks are relative by forcing all paths to link to something inside
> of a project directory.

I have did as https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=6518#c42902 did: edited the .sla file to make the path relative.

The backdraw of forcing is that on production environments where it is more likely to be guaranteed that images (common images used by several projects) are at fixed path (traditional network file sharing) than at relative path. For example this helps when small sla files are passed via E-Mail.

I would not "force" it but just allow user to edit the actual stored path. So workflow is: Open file is /mnt/bigdisk/project189/publicity/flyer.sla. I choose "[Level up]" > "2019" > "happy_new_year.jpg" from file selector. Scribus then shows me "/mnt/bigdisk/project189/2019/happy_new_year.jpg" as text field. If I want it to be relative, I simply delete the prefix and add "../" -> "../2019/happy_new_year.jpg"

That's it. No need for check boxes, path guessing, etc.. The only thing you can't get around is to let Scribus switch slash/backslash across operating systems.

> that would enable -- among other things -- that people can collaborate
> (sequentially) on a project that is on a file server.
>
> on the other side, the details matter. since you don't link to the
> proposal you did two years ago, it's hard to say if the details of
> your solution were something i would have liked...
>
> any link?

I did a quick search and found this issue: https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=6518

I looked at the patch https://bugs.scribus.net/file_download.php?file_id=7815&type=bug

Personally I would not do it this way because the line
docu.writeAttribute("PFILE",Path2Relative(item->Pfile, baseDir));
takes control away from user (so when publicity/flyer.sla points to "2019/happy_new_year.jpg", but gets erroneously moved to 2019/flyer.sla, then Scribus autoadjusts relative path to "happy_new_year.jpg" producing an error once the file is moved back to correct location publicity/flyer.sla.

I think Scribus should touch paths only when it's the matter in GUI, so when paths they are inserted (new image) or in other rare cases (for example when moved: https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=6518#c37688 -> https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=7966).

> ciao
> a.l.e

LG Jonas