[scribus] How to select line (or other object) under guide line?

Rodrigo Severo rsev at pm.me
Fri Dec 6 10:47:55 UTC 2019

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, December 6, 2019 4:43 AM, ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> hi

> i just tried in my 1.5 and as soon as the line is thicker than the
> guides it works (with a few tries).
>
> if it's not you can try by zooming in.
>
> if it still does not work, you can try to select the line by click and
> dragging the cursor from the empty area (you have to create a selection
> that only contains the line, the complete line)
>
> you can also use the "window > outlinie" to pick the line from a list.
>
> if this happens often to you, you can set the guides to be behind the
> page items (in 1.5 it's in the document settings and in the
> preferences)
>
> or you can simply temporary hide the guides, move the line and
> re-enable them.
>
> my brainstorming ends here... but there might be more ways to do
> that...
> which one fits your needs might depend on the specific case and the way
> you're using scribus...
>
> if you see an even better way of doing that, you're welcome to fill a
> ticket... but it must really be a much better solution!

All these options can be used, some are better for some situations, some for others but I really think there is one much much better solution:

To click on the object I want to select. This might instead select some other object (or guide) that is above the object I want to select. If this happens, I just hold the Ctrl key and keep clicking until the object I want to select gets selected.

I believe the above option should work always, no matter what situation. It seems to me as an importarnt issue of uniformity and consistency of Scribus interface.

I really believe this to be a "much better solution" as you mentioned but I see it's possible for someone to argue that this is just personal preference.

I will open a ticket describing this issue. Let's see if it gets traction there with some dev (despite my felling that I might already be talking to some devs here ;)

Regards,

Rodrigo Severo