[scribus] Would like to compile 1.5.4 please

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Nov 24 19:52:55 UTC 2018

On 11/24/18 1:48 PM, ZASKE Martin wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> how can I please check out the "stable development version" Scribus
> 1.5.4 from the svn server?
>
> I looked into  svn://scribus.net/branches/  and it is not listed.
>
> So I probably need to know a specific revision-number to pull it from
> svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus ?
>
> When I did a "normal" default check-out from trunk and compiled I ended
> up with a very recent 1.5.5 from 7 November. We need ours for real
> production, sorry.
>

> I am only rarely doing this, so I would not be insulted to receive the
> full command like this example:
>
> svn co -r 20099 svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus scribus150
>

> thank you,
>
> Martin
>

> ===================
>
> Background: For our office we are setting up a new (used) computer. It
> run under OpenSuse Leap 15.0 and I could not find any location for
> packages for the "good version" 1.5.4.
>
> We found an AppImage 1.5.4 dated 28 April 2018, which in its own "help
> about" declared itself an svn version 22485. But the team does not know
> about AppImages. And neither do I. It runs, but I suppose all paths and
> scripts and whatnot will be different when running an image - maybe
> similar to using portable apps under Windows?
>

> I had such amazing success today with the checking out from svn and the
> make and make install, because our internet is faster than it used to
> be. So I hope to get help to find the correct URL or revision and then
> make our own Scribus 1.5.4(final) for Leap 15 for a real classic
> installation "out-of-source" but fully part of the system. That would be
> awesome.
>

> I want to give a quick feedback on this website:
>
> https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Building_SVN_versions_with_CMake
>
> I followed the entire patch-work of instructions. I installed any
> package that was mentioned as needed or useful.
>
> The first run of cmake just asked for two more packages and the
> error-message was so precise that it was no problem to get those.
>
> The second run of cmake went all the way through. And same for make and
> make install. That was my best home-baked Scribus ever. Compliments to
> the entire team!!!
>
> When I am next on that new office-computer, and I have my
> wiki-login-credentials along, I will try to edit the entry under OpenSuse.
>

> Also on that page there is a line that did puzzle me:
> For Scribus 1.5.5+ :
> C++11
>
> I could not find any packet 11, only 7 for Leap 15. Went to
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ and found mention of a version 8 but also nothing
> about 11.
>
> And my check-out did compile today with c++7 and did create something
> which calls itself 1.5.5.svn dated 7 November 2018. So the line about
> "C++11" under "for Scribus 1.5.5+" is a mystery.

Hi Martin,

One way might be to just follow the links from the main Scribus website:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.5.4/

At the same time, I would generally consider the latest 1.5.5 to be closer to stable than 1.5.4, since there have been a lot of fixes going on since April.

Greg