[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 128, Issue 1

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Nov 4 19:44:10 UTC 2018

On 11/4/18 3:04 AM, Colin Madwolf wrote:

>> On 2 Nov 2018, at 12:00, scribus-request at lists.scribus.net wrote:
>>

>>> I then thought, well, the drop shadows will be quite intensive on the display, so decided to remove them.  I clicked on one image and removed the drop shadow - onto the next and it will not let me do so.  The drop shadow tick box is greyed out.  Tried selecting other images and the same happens.  Close document, re-open had no effect either.  Copied an image and tried to remove drop shadow - same problem.
>>>
>>> I closed the panes for drop shadow and image and re-opened them - to no effect.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a solution - PLEASE - otherwise Scribus is of no use - I cannot wait for each mouse click to work like this.
>>>
>>> MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.3. IMac retina 5K 27inch. 28GB DDR4.  Radeon Pro 575 4GB
>>>
>>> Scribus 1.54 rev 2284. - even got the beach ball to read that !!!!
>>

>> Hi Colin,
>>
>> Maybe try unchecking Image Visible once you finish placing the image and its frame where you want it.
>>
>> Greg
>>

> Hi Greg
>
> OK, further testing (wasting time here . . .) has come up with a possible answer/reason why this is all happening
>
> The file I am working on is an import of an InDesign IDML file.  So I created a page in a new document and sure enough margins are visible through content objects - amazing !
>
> AND - what do you know - images are not visible when the preferences are set to that, getting them to show again is not that easy.  Changing preferences has no effect, quit, re-load has no effect, BUT, if you go to VIEW>IMAGE FRAMES>Show images - voila it works
>
> Maybe then the answer is to create a new document and copy everything over from the IDML one - yet more wasted time
>
> Have you heard before of issues with IDML files ??

Hi Colin,

Since I don't have any way of generating IDML files, I have never had a chance to try out importing them. I have imported PDF pages, and while this works, what this gives you is a group of groups of vector objects. AT the lowest level of ungrouping, even the font glyphs are vectors. Text can be exported from Adobe Reader if that's an option.
One of the problems with these import methods is that you still may end up with something that is not any more usable for the future.

Greg