[scribus] My thought so far, on Scribus as a serious contender

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Feb 27 16:01:51 UTC 2018

On 02/27/2018 04:37 AM, Colin wrote:

> Questions or What I hate:
>
> 1.  In the save as dialogue box, you need way too many clicks as you drill down to find the directory you wish to save in.  In the Mac finder, as you click on a directory it opens to reveal the tree below, in Scribus you need to double-click - why?

This may be a function coming from your OS. I don't see this in
Linux/Fedora. There also can be come help in setting the Paths in
Preferences.

> 2. Selecting text is a little bit quirky when you are dragging to select - and how do you select ALL text in linked frames - if you drag, it only selects in that frame, if you shift click beginning and end of text nothing happens ??   ‘Select All’, only selects text in the frame you are in - not all text in linked frames, which is no good at all.

This is where using Story Editor may help a bit, since it displays all
the text from all the linked frames. You'll need to update your frames
to see the results of any editing you do - it's the icon on the toolbar
second from the right.

> 3. When dragging a selection, part of which extends out of sight at the bottom (for example) of the page, does not set the document to auto scroll so you can complete the selection - it all has to be visible in the page

You might try this: drag as far as you can, then with your text still
highlighted, scroll the document down or up, then hold down Shift and
use the arrows to finish your selection. Also, temporarily shrinking the
display size can help.

> 6. My images sometimes have an exclamation mark in the box - I have searched the manual help file to no avail.  Clicking on it has no effect.  I have checked one file and it is larger than 300dpi and a greyscale.

You can also click Preflight Verifier, which should show an explanation
for this warning. Also, don't take the warnings too seriously, if you're
already aware of what it's pointing out, then ignore. It's also worth
looking at the settings in Preferences > Preflight Verifier to see if
you agree with all the settings.

> 7. Master Pages, if you have guides on the master page and you apply a different master page with guides in another position, the first set remains ??

I guess this is a bug, maybe a minor one. It seems that once you apply
the Master Page, its guides get applied to the page that it's applied
to. What you can do if needed is to go to Page > Manage Guides... and
under the Misc tab there is a button to delete the guides from the
current page, another from all pages. You might do this before you
switch to another Master Page, since otherwise, you'll have to reapply
your new Master Page to get its guides.

Greg