[scribus] My thought so far, on Scribus as a serious contender

mick crane mick.crane at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 10:28:36 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-27 09:37, Colin wrote:
<snip>

I hardly, hardly ever use Scribus (love it ),  just because I don't do
that stuff very often.

> 4. Character styles: apply style to a character, start typing
> immediately after and it reverts to default paragraph style - not what
> I expected.  If you select that character with style and type to
> replace the character it again reverts to default style.  I would
> expect a character style to continue as you type if the carat is after
> the character with the style.  Also if you select the character, I
> would expect the text propertties box to show the style of that
> selected character in the drop down for character style - it doesn’t,
> it shows ‘No Style’.

As an infrequent user I also find it difficult applying styles in the
story editor.

> 6. My images sometimes have an exclamation mark in the box - I have
> searched the manual help file to no avail.  Clicking on it has no
> effect.  I have checked one file and it is larger than 300dpi and a
> greyscale.

the image probably has an attribute Scribus doesn't like which will be
explained in the pre-print check dialogue

> 8. The properties pallettes started to get in the way as I am working
> on a double page spread and need all the space.  So I changed the font
> size to 9pt - much better - except that I couldn’t make the pallettes
> narrower ? A restart of the program forced that and it is now very
> clean looking.  However, the ‘OK’ and ‘CANCEL’ buttons in the Edit
> Master Pages dialogue box are overlapping - they still work but not
> with 9pt, I went up to 10pt another re- start and it works now.  Some
> of the text in the drop down menu selectors overlaps to the left.

I really should get another monitor and put all the properties windows
on another screen.

cheers

mick

--