[scribus] justification not working on last line

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Tue May 16 12:47:09 UTC 2017

Dear list,

me again, sorry. Getting our first full-length book ready for the
printers. Learning the ropes? Rather fighting with a heap of sneakily
self-entangling ropes...

Our book has got 200+ pages. One text-frame on each page, linked with
each other.

Our main text is justified and aligned to baseline. Justification mostly
works fine. But in all text-frames the last line does not justify on the
right side, only on the left side (our text is left-to-right). In a few
percent of text-frames the justification of the last line looks correct,
but that is likely due to the fact that by chance the last word just
fits the line.

I know that the last line should not justify if it happens to coincide
with the end of a paragraph. But in our book, most last-lines are in the
middle of their respective paragraphs and still they refuse to justify.

Seems the last lines go into some Zombie-mode. Other lines I can select
(or place the cursor inside a line) and click the icons to play with the
justification: left, centred, right ... they are responding.

Not so my Zombie-lines: If I place the cursor or even if I select the
entire line (highlight in blue), they will not even respond to manual
alignment commands.

I double-checked in a new document with fresh chained text-frames and
English and Lorem Ipsum sample-text: That behaves normally, i.e. the
last lines all justify right and left unless they are end-of-paragraph.
So all is not broken. Even when I apply our book main style to this
testing document, justification works fine.

Our language (Anii) is a non European language, using an extended Latin
alphabet. Scribus 1.5.3svn is handling it very nicely - except for this.

The last line will render like a left-justified line. Even if I add
manual Soft Hyphens in the first word of the following text-frame, it
only brings over one syllable, but still does not justify all the way to
the right.

Has any other user ever observed anything similar? Any ideas where I
could check or tweak to get proper book-style justification all the way
to the last line?

Thank you list,

Martin

--