[scribus] justification not working on last line

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue May 16 13:31:16 UTC 2017

On 05/16/2017 08:47 AM, ZASKE Martin wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> me again, sorry. Getting our first full-length book ready for the
> printers. Learning the ropes? Rather fighting with a heap of sneakily
> self-entangling ropes...
>

> Our book has got 200+ pages. One text-frame on each page, linked with
> each other.
>
> Our main text is justified and aligned to baseline. Justification mostly
> works fine. But in all text-frames the last line does not justify on the
> right side, only on the left side (our text is left-to-right). In a few
> percent of text-frames the justification of the last line looks correct,
> but that is likely due to the fact that by chance the last word just
> fits the line.
>
> I know that the last line should not justify if it happens to coincide
> with the end of a paragraph. But in our book, most last-lines are in the
> middle of their respective paragraphs and still they refuse to justify.
>
> Seems the last lines go into some Zombie-mode. Other lines I can select
> (or place the cursor inside a line) and click the icons to play with the
> justification: left, centred, right ... they are responding.

Hi Martin,

There are 2 different full justification modes. One does not justify the
last line, the other does. Tool tips say "Align Text Justified", the
other "Align Text Forced Justified". The second one can lead to some
pretty ugly layout.
I have to say that I am puzzled to figure out how a last line can be in
the middle of a paragraph. It seems that if it were, it wouldn't be a
last line.

Greg