[scribus] Icons

scrib at wexfordpress.com scrib at wexfordpress.com
Sat Mar 18 15:44:36 UTC 2017

 From: "William Bader" <williambader at hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2017 11:42 PM
To: "Scribus User Mailing List" <scribus at lists.scribus.net>
Subject: Re: [scribus] Icons
 >If a large T means a text frame then a large G could mean a graphic frame
and a large S followed by a tiny e could mean a text frame with easy access
to the Style Editor

The problem with letters is that they are language specific.

Many Linux applications use svg for icons to avoid issues with scaling
bitmapped images. For example, try running

find /usr -name '*svg' | less

Scribus already has a few svgs in resources/iconsets/1_5_0/other/ and
scribus/plugins/picbrowser/icons/

I think that inkscape https://inkscape.org/ is a popular open source tool
for making svgs, but it takes time to learn.
https://inkscape.org/en/learn/
I think that Android switched from color icons to black and white icons
because the icon bar background is controllable by themes, and color icons
could be hard to see on color backgrounds. Desktop applications like
Scribus control the background of the icon bar and don't have that
problem.

William
I have found the answer to one of my complaints. But the cure may be worse
than the illness. If i click on the rectangle in the upper right hand
corner the entire scribus image expands  and the icon bar now shows the
missing icon for the Story Editor.

 Moving this icon to the left part of the icon bar would also eliminate the
need for this action on the user's part.. I am not so concerned about my
usage as I am about those who read my book.

 I will look into the resources you cite for svg icons. I am familiar with
Inkscape and would use it for icon design if/when I design my version of
the icon bar. One of the objects that Inkscape can create is a push button
with a value attached. Would that work? Time will tell. :<)

 Best