[scribus] Quick route to story editor.

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Mar 16 13:55:33 UTC 2017

On 03/16/2017 08:11 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 1:52 PM, ale rimoldi wrote:
>
>> if you have a better solution than removing the context menu entry, please
>> make a proposal that is comparably easy to implement.
>
> I'm not sure what counts for comparably easy and I'm not qualified to tell.
>
> But if double-clicking for in-frame editing is so undiscoverable, how
> about this?
>
> When the Text tool is activated, clicking once inside a frame enables
> in-frame editing. Clicking anywhere outside an existing text frame and
> dragging creates a new text frame. Would that be reasonable and
> comparably easy to implement? (It's how e.g. Inkscape works, too.)

The problem with clicking inside a frame with the text tool activated is
that sometimes you might want to create a new text frame on top of and
inside the boundaries of an existing frame.

The reason we want/need 3 methods, toolbar, keyboard shortcut, and
context menu, is that people are creatures of habit and sometimes
inconsistent habits. If I've just used a keyboard shortcut, I may more
likely use another for something else. The context menu offers a small
space with a number of operations to perform, with some text to explain
all at once. When you can't remember a shortcut and what's in a context
menu, you've got the toolbar for back up.

In that regard, I think we could be more straightforward with the
language in the Context menu (and there can be both Edit Contents and
Story Editor activation):

Instead of Content > Edit Contents of Frame, it might just say Edit
Contents Mode (Story Editor also edits the contents of the frame).
Instead of Edit > Text, just say Story Editor (Edit Contents Mode also
is for editing the text)

Some might argue that these are abstract terms ("Edit Contents Mode",
"Story Editor"), but these are internal terms that are usefully
introduced to users in this way.

Greg