[scribus] designing instructional posters on code/programming -- lots of syntax highlighting

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Jan 4 19:55:07 UTC 2017

On 01/04/2017 02:34 PM, Peter Nermander wrote:
> - When I import it as an image frame the resolution is horrible, so I go
>> into the filename.html and set large fontsize, reopen that in firefox, and
>> re-print to the post script file.  By the time I've enlarged the font
>> enough to get a good resolution in Scribus, half of the code is
>> clipped/cropped out of the image.  And playing with this some more, the
>> background color that is specified in the .html file does not seem to get
>> preserved when firefox goes to print it and the font colors get altered
>> then as well.
>>

> Did you try to export to PDF? Or try to change the preview resolution to
> high?
>
> Because normally Scribus renders preview at a lower resolution to improve
> performance.
>
> Also note that when exporting to PDF there is a checkbox for _not_
> rasterizing embedded PDF/Postscript at PDF export (it is labeled as
> experimental mainly due to that color management is not correctly handled).

Especially for something like posters, I would not import into a text
frame. You really need to use a vector image so you can stretch to the
size you need.
You can import PDF as vectors only in the 1.5.x series, not 1.4.x or
earlier, but you can import PS as vectors in all. After import as
vector, zooming to 2000% or more continued to show sharp margins of the
characters. So if you wanted, you could probably make a billboard out of it.

Greg