[scribus] Frame captions

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Tue Jan 3 17:22:37 UTC 2017

Scribus should maybe not be compared to a word processor.*

I have not found a way to have captions automatically added. Scribus is
about total-control-of-your-page. So if our developers will ever give us
an "auto-caption-feature", users will shout for 60+ options from the
start (not least the option to turn it off; or even will insist that it
be turned off by default; and then some new users will not find it...).

Maybe the words "option" and "automatically" do not even go together? Do
we have any philosophers on this list?

For one of our regular publications, an image-caption-feature with
settings as-per-document might be helpful. It has never bothered us
enough to even prompt a feature-request. My uncle would say: "If you
still have the strength to pull open an image frame, you can also pull
open a text-frame underneath!". Yet he never suffered from sore tendons
or from overpriced badly manufactured Kensington track-balls...

If you want to help, the issue has been identified as a "potential project":

https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-project/tree/master/image-caption

hthal

Martin

*I bet, some readers will just do it anyway, like this:

- A wordprocessor is like a Mercedes, where it is all smooth and
automatic (and you can buy it in grey or black) and you get spoiled at
the steering wheel (and if you fall asleep, it might even try to wake
you up, as you get near your destination); it is rather useless at
hauling serious quantities of manure (nod to Dwight Schrute) and it
might take you to very distant countries, if nothing too complicated
breaks as you leave your dealer/garage behind

- Scribus is like a tractor, which will even take unlimited extensions
(if you can find them or adapt them or afford them) and it can haul lots
of anything, possibly slowly but without stopping; and you have many
many many not-very-detailedly labelled levers and controls (and some of
them are even hidden) for doing your special stuff (pulling your load
backwards if you prefer) and you get to sit on top of a rather noisy
machine and feel great (even with the usual trail of sedans behind you
on the road, being jealous and honking for no reason); and if you do
stop eventually, the other owners of your brand will gather around your
tractor and will gladly chat to you about your beast...

--
ZASKE Martin
responsable GʊGʊ