[scribus] Frame captions

Ken Springer snowshed1 at q.com
Wed Jan 4 03:50:53 UTC 2017

Hi, Martin,

I wasn't trying to compare Scribus to a word processor.  I was merely
noting how easy it is to add captions in a word processor compared to
Scribus.  If you've read my last post in my Aligning Frames thread, I've
written what I tell others about word processors and page layout software.

I do like your auto vs. tractor comparison.  The thing is, with the
power of modern personal computers, there's no reason you can't have
both.  For users who don't need the "total control" that would be a
plus.  For what I'm currently using Scribus for, I don't need the
ability to do a script for something.  I wouldn't know how to write one
if my life depended on it.  LOL

For those like Gregory Pittman, if you want to write a script, go for
it!  <G>

When you limit what your software allows users to do, you limit the
field of potential users.

I have a few reasons for using Scribus right now, but I have to say,
from my limited experience so far, if I was creating a monthly
newsletter for my employer, or a small club, I would use the commercial
program I own.  It's just far easier and quicker to get to the same
endpoint.  :-)

Philosophically speaking, regarding your uncle's viewpoint, computers
are supposed to do those mundane and repetitive things for you.  If we
took his approach, we'd still be using horse and buggies, and not cars.
<G>  Computers should allow users to get things done faster and more
efficiently.  That can only happen if programmers include new
capabilities  and features with each new version.

As for helping, all I can do is offer ideas and thoughts.  I don't
possess the technical knowledge to program, etc.  Nor do I have the time
to be a beta tester, I don't do page layout work as a career.  In fact,
I'm retired.  LOL

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6