[scribus] Errror 6, again

scrib at wexfordpress.com scrib at wexfordpress.com
Fri Feb 24 19:46:25 UTC 2017

 From: "Owen Cook" <owen.cook at gmx.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 6:12 PM
To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
Subject: Re: [scribus] Errror 6, again

> I use Slackware Linux. In 2009 I wrote a pdf book about designing book
> covers via Scribus which had modest success.
> It grew obsolete so i withdrew it.
>
> Now I am writing some print desktop guides including one on book cover
> design using Scribus 1.6.0.
> I am using the latest svn version so that I can work from the version
> closest to the forthcoming 1.6.0
> Since there is no nightly version for Slack I compile using Jluc's
> script.
>
> For several releases now I get a Signal 6 error when I try to add or
> modify a paragraph style. I haven't determined yet
> what is the last release that doesn't have this error. But what I need
is
> for my nightly compile runs to generate a
> version without this error.
>
> Has anyone else noted this error?
>
> Is there a path other than the Jluc script to get the latest nightly
> release of 1.5.3?

Hi John,

It is possible that something has got out of kilter. Can you start your
version of Scribus from the command line, invoke an error and then look at
your console and advise the output from the failure.

 Here is the error mesage:

  bash-4.3# ./scribus-1.5.3.svn
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon
/localbin/scribus153svn/share/scribus-1.5.3.svn/icons/1_5_1/zeichen.png:
File not found
ASSERT: "di != -1" in file
/root/dev/scribus/svn/scribus/ui/smcstylewidget.cpp, line 379
scribus-1.5.3.svn: /root/dev/scribus/svn/scribus/scribuscore.cpp:89: void
abort_on_error(QtMsgType, const QMessageLogContext&, const QString&):
Assertion `false' failed.
Scribus Crash
-------------
Scribus crashes due to Signal #6
bash-4.3#

Also, I have never understood why you go and download the whole repository
for each build. Why don't you do what everyone else does,

1. Get the base repository ( See
https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Building_SVN_versions_with_CMake )

2. Build it

3. And then on after, do a # svn up followed by a # make install (The link
above is *really* worth following )

 My answer:
 As so often happens cmake screws up. Here is my compile script:
  svn co svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus scribus15
mkdir ~/src/
mkdir ~/src/scribus_svn
sudo mkdir /usr/local/scribus_svn
cd ~/src/scribus_svn
svn up svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus
cd ./Scribus
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/bin/scribus
make
sudo make install

 And here is the error message:
  CMake Error: The source directory "/root/src/scribus_svn/Scribus/build"
does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt

 The irony here is that multiple copies of CMakeLists.txt exist  in various
locations.

 Remember the good old days when ".configure; make; make install"l always
worked?

 I alco tried a *.rpm package. That didn't fly either.

 At this point I am ready to install another OS on another partition, if
any one can guarantee success.
 I have books to write.

 Thanks for your offers to help. Any one else?

 John