[scribus] Best way to save a "Scribus object"

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Tue Feb 21 13:15:02 UTC 2017

On 20.02.2017 18:25, Wayne DePrince Jr. wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 17/02/2017 alle 13.57 +0100, ZASKE Martin ha scritto:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I have just created a special slogan. I used a purchased pretty font and
>> converted a phrase - after nice kerning etc - in Scribus from text frame
>> to contours (French version, sorry).
>>
>> Then I manipulated my slogan, creating missing characters by
>> double-clicking where needed and editing the vector data of each contour.
>>
>> Then I grouped the entire phrase into a group-of-contours.
>>

>> I know that maybe I should have done all this in Inkscape. (But Inkscape
>> is rather clumsy with text, so I wanted Scribus to make the raw sentence
>> "nice", before starting to edit.)
>>

>> Now I got a Scribus document with just one-group-of-13-contours in it.
>> This is our new slogan for a series of childrens' documents.
>>

>> How should I best save/store/export this, so that the layout person on
>> another computer can most easily use it in several scribus documents,
>> please?
>>

>> My ideas so far:
>>
>> I can just save the group on a page as a Scribus-document. But then the
>> layouter needs to import that entire page and cut the object (group) and
>> place it where it belongs and then delete the page which served just for
>> transport. Feels like there should be something more elegant.
>>
>> I tried selecting my group and exporting as .eps and it did create
>> something; but that something does not seem to be a proper .eps
>> document. Is there a way to export vector-objects rather than entire
>> Scribus documents?
>>
>> On my own computer, I can quite nicely "send" it by right-click into an
>> album. I did not find "album" anywhere in help. Is there a best-practise
>> how to share (or at least copy and import) an album between several
>> computers?
>>

>> Thank you for your input,
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> ___
>> Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net
>> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
>> See also:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net
>> http://forums.scribus.net
>
> ahoy Zaske,
>
> 	in Srcibus 1.5+ i made extensive use of Symbols which worked
> wonderfully to create a library of reusable SVG/vector objects.  it also
> helped reduce the resulting PDF dramatically.  however i am not sure how you
> would export them to other Scribus users, though i would guess that simply
> sharing a document with the Symbols would work.  hope that helps.
>
> peace, w

Thank you Wayne,

so far I had missed symbols entirely. I keep discovering goodies in
Scribus... So thank you for your hint. Right now I also discovered tabs,
because they are mentioned in the "what is new" of 1.5.2, next to
symbols. So you just "made my day". And another thankful nod to our
developers.

I have not found a lot about symbols in the help with Scribus. Looks
easy enough: right-click and transmogrify into a symbol.

Your message seems to say, that symbols travel with their respective
document. That would make sense if it has to do with cloning and
controlling several instances etc.

My question was mainly about how best transporting "objects", so I have
more looked into albums recently. Those seem to be less attached to
certain documents - they rather provide certain objects to all documents
for where-needed. Albums somehow can work with folders, so we got pretty
close to our needs: Transport between computers by way of
object-inside-a-scribus-document (mildly clumsy but only needed once).
Then put into album and have available forever.

---

If I ever find time, I will try to test, how I can "liberate" a
Scribus-object as a separate vector-file, for example a logo made in
Scribus might become logo.svg. This would be hacking, but why not. Where
text is involved, Scribus is the "better vector" editor than other tools...

greetings and thanks again,

Martin

--
ZASKE Martin