[scribus] Spellcheck problem

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 6 09:56:13 UTC 2016

> Third time of asking ............

> Can nobody tell me why Spellcheck no longer works in Scribus??
> Spellchecking works fine in other programs I use on this computer,
> (LibreOffice, Thunderbird etc). I have the Hunspell installed and only
> ONE Dictionary but all I get is the error "Not in Dictionary"
>
> It used to work before perfectly. My OpSys is the latest PClinuxOS
> 64-bit and Scribus ver 1.4.6.

Using 1.5.3 Rev 21438

I had the en_us installed and it didn't want to spell check.

With my environment LANG variable being set to en_AU.UTF-8 I then installed the hunspell_en_au dictionary, but again, no spell checking.

I then installed hunspell_en_gb and spell checking proceeded without any problem.

All a bit of a mystery to  me but as I don't use the spell checker, something I had not bothered about

Owen

-----

Depending on your operating system, strace or truss could help to tell what scribus is looking for.

For example, I have LANG=en_US.UTF-8 and

  strace -e open scribus 2>&1 | grep spell/

shows the sequence below when I run a spell check

  open("/usr/share/myspell/en_US.aff", O_RDONLY) = 20
  open("/usr/share/myspell/en_US.dic", O_RDONLY) = 20
  open("/usr/share/myspell/en_US.aff", O_RDONLY) = 20

although the spell check does not show any words for me, even words that are misspelled.

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/11/strace-examples (7 Strace Examples to Debug the Execution of a Program in Linux)

http://linoxide.com/linux-command/linux-strace-command-examples/ (8 Options to Trace/Debug Programs using Linux strace Command)

http://www.freebsdonline.com/content/view/912/524/ (Trace the system calls in FreeBSD with truss)

Regards, William