[scribus] skewed text frame & text distances

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Nov 25 23:09:54 UTC 2016

On 11/25/2016 05:28 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 11/25/2016 10:45 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
>> hi vaclav
>>> I am creating a leaflet with skewed text frames -- the verticals are
>>> all rotated by 10°. I would like to flow text into those frames
>>> keeping 5mm clearance on both sides. I tried to set paragraph
>>> leftskip/rightskip, but it seems to be effective relative to the text
>>> area bounding box, not the actual shape on that line; the same
>>> happens with Text/Columns&Text Distances (as suggested in
>>> http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus/2015-April/051695.html),
>>> where a thin line appears in that distance from the bbox vertical,
>>> again, not skewed.
>>>
>>> Is this something expected? For me definitely counter-intuitive. Is
>>> there some workaround? I could move text frame nodes by those 5mm,
>>> but it is a bit tedious in the absence of rotated guides.
>>>
>>> Thanks for suggestions, cheers!
>>
>> i can confirm your observation...
>>
>> looks like a bug to me...
>> can you please submit it to the bug tracker?
>>
>> ... at the end, yes, creating text frames of the correct size seems to
>> be the simplest solution...

There are a number of tricky aspects to this. One thing I found was that
if you try to enlarge a skewed frame in X,Y,Z, you immediately lose the
skewing -- another bug?
What I did to create a somewhat larger frame around an original one was
this:

1. Starting with your original skewed frame, go to Item > Multiple
Duplicate. Using the Number of Copies tab, make one copy with no shift,
so your copy will be right on top of your original.
2. Select the copy, then go to Shape tab of Properties and select Edit.
3. You can either enlarge the frame by percent or amount. In either
case, the frame enlarges concentrically and evenly around your original.
This is much better than moving individual nodes manually.
4. Presumably you want the text to flow around this larger frame, so
push it underneath the smaller one so the text in the smaller one with show.

Greg