[scribus] recovering graphics.

Andreas Vox andreas.vox at gmail.com
Thu May 14 23:07:46 UTC 2015

> Am 14.05.2015 um 20:26 schrieb wena-parry at talktalk.net:
>
> Is it possible to recovering graphics into Scribus from a
> PDF file.
>

> I was thinking in terms of a whole page.
> Then covering the old text with a layer
> of blank over the old text and putting a text freme on top leaving the graphic
> in place.
>

> I  have lost the  original scribus file and it’s graphics
> leaving me with only the PDF file. I still
> have the original Doc file.
>

> May be there is a better way that you experts know about

Hi Wena!

I’d do it this way:
1. Create a new doc of the same page size as the old one with two pages.
2. Place an imageframe on the first page covering it whole. Select the PDF file as the image to display
3. Duplicate the image frame and place the copy over the second page. In Properties Palette, Image, choose Pagenr. = 2
4. Use Page -> Duplicate to duplicate the two pages as often as needed.
5. On each new page, adjust Pager. to the correct page

You now have a replica of the PDF on the Layer „Background“

6. Create a new layer „Content“ above „Background“
7. Place text frames and image frames on the new layer and fill them with the doc content. Use pdftk or poppler to extract the images if you don’t have the sources any more
8. When everything looks ok, set the properties of layer „Background“ to no-show and no-print, or delete the layer completely

/Andreas