[scribus] recovering graphics.

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri May 15 06:21:26 UTC 2015

> Gesendet: Freitag, 15. Mai 2015 um 01:07 Uhr
> Von: "Andreas Vox" <andreas.vox at gmail.com>
> Betreff: Re: [scribus] recovering graphics.
>

> > Am 14.05.2015 um 20:26 schrieb wena-parry at talktalk.net:
> >
> > Is it possible to recovering graphics into Scribus from a
> > PDF file.
> >

> > I was thinking in terms of a whole page.
> > Then covering the old text with a layer
> > of blank over the old text and putting a text freme on top leaving the graphic
> > in place.
> >

> > I  have lost the  original scribus file and it’s graphics
> > leaving me with only the PDF file. I still
> > have the original Doc file.
> >

> > May be there is a better way that you experts know about
> >

> Hi Wena!
>
> I’d do it this way:
> 1. Create a new doc of the same page size as the old one with two pages.
> 2. Place an imageframe on the first page covering it whole. Select the PDF file as the image to display
> 3. Duplicate the image frame and place the copy over the second page. In Properties Palette, Image, choose Pagenr. = 2
> 4. Use Page -> Duplicate to duplicate the two pages as often as needed.
> 5. On each new page, adjust Pager. to the correct page
>
> You now have a replica of the PDF on the Layer „Background“
>
> 6. Create a new layer „Content“ above „Background“
> 7. Place text frames and image frames on the new layer and fill them with the doc content. Use pdftk or poppler to extract the images if you don’t have the sources any more
> 8. When everything looks ok, set the properties of layer „Background“ to no-show and no-print, or delete the layer completely
>
> /Andreas

Hi Wena,

You've already received some valuable hints. Here are some more and a Really Cool Scribus Feature (TM), whose power is often overlooked.

First of all, you can try to open the PDF directly via File > Open. This may or may not work in 1.4.x, but it will reliably do so in 99% of cases with 1.5.x/1.6.x.

Second, PoDoFo also offers a commandline tool that extracts all images from a PDF file (http://podofo.sourceforge.net/tools.html). If you are using Scribus on Linux, PoDoFo is already installed, because it's a Scribus dependency.

And now the Really Cool Scribus Feature (TM):

1) Since you know from your PDF file how many pages your document has and what the page size is, create a new doc with these data (number of pages, page size) and set the margin size to 0.00 (for the time being).

2) Now go to Insert > Frames... In the first tab of the dialogue ("Type") select "Image Frame". In the second tab ("Location"), select "All Pages" and leave the rest as it is. In the third tab ("Size"), select "Same as the Page" if your PDF didn't use bleed, or "Same as the Bleed" if it did. In the last tab ("Options") simply select the PDF file. This will create an image frame with the PDF loaded on every page.

3) Now you can adjust the page margins by editing the master page(s) via Page > Manage Page Properties.

Once you're there, you can continue to follow Andreas's instructions (selecting the page number for each frame, creating a new layer etc.).

HTH,

Christoph