[scribus] Scribus 1.5.

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Wed Mar 11 18:36:49 UTC 2015

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 18:01:16 +0100
"a.l.e" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> hi william
> > Wouldn't including libraries require a
> > different version of the libraries for every
> > Linux distribution?
> >

> it's about windows.
>
> it's almost trivial to compile scribus on linux
> and you don't have to compile any library if
> your distribution is somehow recent :-)
>
> basically, the easiest way for programming for
> scribus on windows, is to setup a ubuntu
> virtual machine with all the dependencies, qt
> creator and pull the github repository inside
> of qt creator...
>
> i have to find a windows computer and document
> how it's done :-)
>
> ciao
> a.l.e
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

> Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain
> Hosting http://www.doteasy.com

If one is serious about using recent copies of
Open Source software then one should set up a
Linux partition and be free of all those problems
cited here and in other posts. For decades now I
have used Slackware and routinely compiled
everything I need to use if indeed there were
no current compiled version for Linux that I could
download.

I have compile scripts for Scribus 1.4.x,
Scribus 1.5.0 and Inkscape that run every night
automatically thanks to the Linux feature called
cron. Occasionally there is a glitch but
generally I just sit back in the comfort that I
don't have to fuss with cgwin or with
repositories. I get the latest version of each
and no one can deny me that privilege or
charge me a monthly fee.

But I am serious about Open Source solutions. I
bought my last application program, a music
notation program called Mup, perhaps 15 years ago
for $25 (now it is free.) I typeset and index
books using the Texlive version of TeX distro. I
do covers in Scribus. Scribus is one of the
programs I am using in my current
customer project.

Not everyone shares my passion for Open Source
solutions. But when I read of problems
struggling with Microsoft Windows or OS X I am
glad I took the road less travelled back in the
last century.

Of course without the support of the wise heads
on this mailing list including ALE, Luc, Pittman,
Bradney, Schafer and Kunda (there are others) I
would be in deep water. So I offer a deep bow
them and their counterparts on this and many other
lists. Try getting that quality of support free
out of commercial vendors.

And now, back to work using all those wonderful
apps...
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press