[scribus] New features in Scribus 1.5.1svn -- feedback, testing and bug reports required

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Tue Jun 16 05:53:32 UTC 2015

<snip>

> Great news Christoph and thanks to all the developers for their efforts. Re
> item 5 and the release of libfreehand 0. 1. 1. your info for installing
> this is aimed at Linux users. This is a regular problem on this mailing
> list - it is all aimed at Linux users ! Can this new package be installed
> on Windows OS ? If so can info be put on the list regarding
> uploading/installing this package on Windows. I use XP 32 bit.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ivan Winters

Hi Ivan,

Please understand that messages like the one you are referring to are addressed to those who are used to checking out our public source code directory on a regular basis, and who are also familiar with compiling Scribus, as well as some dependencies, from source. This is ridiculously easy on Linux and *BSD, a little less easy (but still easy) on OS X, but ridiculously complicated on Windows -- unless you're an experienced Windows developer.

If you want to test bleeding edge Scribus, I can only advise you to either create a separate Linux partition on your hard drive and install a reliable Linux distribution (e.g. Fedora, OpenSUSE), or to install one of the latter in a virtual machine, using a software like VirtualBox.

Also, there is no such thing as a "new package". That would be the 1.5.1 release. The new features I mentioned have been added the source code. If you cannot, for one reason or another, compile a Scribus svn checkout but want us to test, e.g., file import, you can upload (complex and potentially problematic) test files to the bugtracker.

HTH,

Christoph