[scribus] New features in Scribus 1.5.1svn -- feedback, testing and bug reports required

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Wed Jun 17 21:51:32 UTC 2015

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 08:42:52 +0200
"Christoph Schäfer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> Not long ago, we released Scribus 1.5.0, and
> the development of 1.5.1, which will bring us
> closer to the next stable version 1.6.0, is
> underway.
>
> We have recently added some amazing new
> features that need feedback and testing from
> those who are willing to build 1.5.1svn (and a
> new dependency) from source and to test, namely:
>
> 1) Scribus 1.5.1svn comes with a new and modern
> icon set. It's not 100% complete yet, and you
> need to turn it on in the Preferences (it will
> become the default set once it's complete).

One icon I think needs replacing in either set is
the one for a graphic frame, just to the right of
the one for a text frame. If one looks at this
icon outside the context of Scribus (e.g., in
Gimp) and at a larger size it is quite
attractive. But when reduced to the size used on
the icon bar it looks to me like a brownish
rectangle with a light gray border.

Perhaps a colored background and the letter "G" or
"g" writ as large as is possible would be
suitable.

I know where the graphic frame icon is of
course. But when rewriting my ebook on cover
design I find describing it as "the icon just to
the right of the text frame icon" to be a bit
inelegant. And showing an enlarged version does
not help if the reduced size doesn't really look
the same.

Just a thought.

 John Culleton Wexford Press
Book layout, typesetting and Indexing