[scribus] OpenType alternate glyph support

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Aug 30 14:22:24 UTC 2015

On 08/29/2015 04:45 PM, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> Regarding issue #1413
>
> <http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1413>
>
> I'm curious to see what the status of this is.  I migrated to InDesign
> from Scribus because I use a couple of fonts (FF Zwo and Mister K) that
> make heavy use of alternate glyphs and ligatures respectively.
>
> I'd love to move back to Scribus, but specifically with Zwo I use
> alternate glyphs for the following characters: 2, 3, 4, @, a, g, u.  So
> entering them in manually would be quite a chore beyond a few words.
>
> It looks like there was talk of a 1,000 GBP bounty, but it doesn't seem
> as if anything actually materialized.  I'd love to throw some cash at
> this feature, but before going down that road I was wondering:
>
> - Are there any Scribus developers who would be interested in working on
> this feature?  If so, have they set a price they'd like to see?
>
> - Has a list of requirements and acceptance criteria been compiled?  Has
> the time required to implement this been estimated yet?  It looks like
> two interrelated, but separate, features were being discussed (ligatures
> and alternate glyphs).
>
> - What's the status of the existing private branch that was discussed ~5
> years ago?

There was a group that met at LGM 2015 this year to begin to
discuss/work on incorporating OpenType support in LGM software of
various types.

http://www.freesoftwhere.org/2015/05/07/opentype-workshop-lgm-2015/

You might contact Nate to see where things stand at the moment. I know
Andreas Vox from Scribus expressed interest in this. Eventually I think
this will come, though it may be subject to fits and starts at this point.

Greg