[scribus] Ink coverage control : over 330%

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Aug 29 13:32:04 UTC 2015

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 16:11:44 +0200
Eric Hanuise <eric.hanuise at flatlinedgames.com>
wrote:

> Hi.
> I regularly get complaints from my printers
> that ink coverage exceeds 330%. I usually
> export as pdf 1.5, with a target profile of iso
> coated v2 300%. However as pdf 1.5 doesn't
> embed the profile it can be tricky. I tried pdf
> x/3, but the lack of transparency support is a
> real issue, as I have a log of PNG images and
> mainly use Scribus to convert these rgb files
> to cmyk press-ready files. Are there options to
> control the ink coverage within Scribus ? (I'm
> using Linux and free software, so Acrobat pro
> and other high end tools such as Callas are not
> an option.)

For print I always use an output format of pdf
X/1-a:2001 which doesn't allow transparencies. Any
transparencies should be converted to bitmaps via
Gimp, imagemagick etc. Of course you should
always use CMYK colors instead of RGB for
printing.

When excessive ink coverage is involved I use an
icc profile SWOPcoated5_240.icc which limits the
ink coverage to coverage to 240%. I will post it
at
http://wexfordpress.net/SWOPcoated5_240.icc

It was created for my use years ago by one of
the experts on the icc_users mailing list.

John Culleton
Wexford Press
Book layout, typesetting and Indexing
Free list of books for self-publishers: