[scribus] Ink coverage control : over 330%

Eric Hanuise eric.hanuise at flatlinedgames.com
Mon Aug 31 08:00:57 UTC 2015

> For print I always use an output format of pdf
> X/1-a:2001 which doesn't allow transparencies. Any
> transparencies should be converted to bitmaps via
> Gimp, imagemagick etc. Of course you should
> always use CMYK colors instead of RGB for
> printing.
>
> When excessive ink coverage is involved I use an
> icc profile SWOPcoated5_240.icc which limits the
> ink coverage to coverage to 240%. I will post it
> at
> http://wexfordpress.net/SWOPcoated5_240.icc
>
> It was created for my use years ago by one of
> the experts on the icc_users mailing list.

Thank you.
As explained, Transparencies are key - we have a lot of image elements
that are on transparent background, which need to be superimposed on
other background elements, as well as inkscape svg files with lots of
effects (blurs, clipping, etc), which need to be converted to bitmap as
sometimes some of the effetcs get lost when importing them as svg's or
pdf's. Doing that work in Scribus itself is very impractical, and
importing bitmap works very well.

So are there any other options to control pdf ink coverage than using
export formats that do not support transparencies ?