[scribus] I would like to learn your views on what I've done with Scribus for a scholarly journal

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sun Aug 9 14:39:43 UTC 2015

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 14:41:57 +0300
"Editor, JTCS" <editor.ejtcs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
> I have tried to learn and use Scribus for a
> time, and the latest result is like what you
> can see on, say,
> http://dergipark.ulakbim.gov.tr/jotcsa/article/view/5000082880/5000101113
> for example. As I am a chemist and not a
> designer, I would like to learn what I can do
> in order to get a better result. I am
> especially wondering if I am doing something
> wrong and would be glad if I can learn how to
> do better. Thanks for your ideas, Barbaros
> Istanbul, Turkey
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

There are horses for courses, as my father used
to say. I use TeX for academic works. However my
current project is full of tables with white on
black headers and fancy graphics on the chapter
heads.

I can do these things in Context (my favorite
version of TeX) but it is less work to add
those features in Scribus. But Scribus is zero
help in indexing and has a labor intensive
handling of the TOC. So I have a hybrid
project, using Context as the base, pdftex and
eplain.tex for the indexing, and modifying
individual pages in Scribus.

I don't suggest this hybrid model for your
book. But given its academic nature I would
look hard at the TeX family, particularly
Pdflatex and the memoir class. For the last
academic book I typeset that is what I used.

I would also question the use of a color other
than black if the paper is to be printed. It
certainly adds to the eye appeal.  Adding a single
extra color is not a problem using an offset press
but digital press work will have to treat all
pages as full color cmyk. This will increase the
cost of the printing considerably.

Just a few thoughts.

--
John Culleton